Welcome to We Heart Dogs ....the blog!

My name is Diana and I have two inspirations for We Heart Dogs - they are Pippin and Twinkles.


We Heart Dogs the blog is your number one resource for following me through my journey of starting a business and keeping updated on what I will be doing next.


Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to get We Heart Dogs updates.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Best & Cheapest Fur Detangler I’ve used!




Pet Head (made by the same company that produces Bed Head, a line of products sold in department stores and salons for human hair), is a line of pet fur/hair-care products. I bought Pet Head’s Fur Ball Detangling Spray because it was cheap, a brand that was familiar to me (I’ve used Bed Head products for myself), and it claimed to do exactly what I needed…to detangle Pippin’s hair and make getting his mats out much easier.



(I also bought a dematting rake at my local pet store, and if you would like to read how I went about dematting my dog, you can read my ehow article I wrote on the subject: http://www.ehow.com/how_5811999_comb-out-mats-dogs-fur.html)

When I went to use the Pet Head Detangling Spray, I wasn’t sure how well it would work, because Pippin’s hair wasn’t just tangled, it was extremely matted in places. The spray didn’t completely get rid of his mats, but it did help me to loosen all of them up and brush them out instead of having to cut them out entirely. I’m so happy with the detangling spray, especially for the price. Pippin gets mats regularly, and if I use Pet Head’s detangling spray on a daily basis when I brush him, he does not get mats. However, like most people, I don’t always have the time to brush Pippin’s hair every single day, luckily the spray also helps brush out the mats and I don’t have to worry about having to give him an awkward hair cut.
 I know you’re supposed to comb out a dog’s mats before you bathe them, but I often wait until after the bath because I know the Pet Head will help me get rid of the mats without having to do the extra work before bath time.

 
And speaking of bath time…I try to bathe Pippin and Twinkles at least once every 2 weeks. I think it really depends on the breed and the risk for skin irritation with too much bathing, but since we have recently moved to a new community, pesticides are sprayed weekly on our lawn. I’ve noticed Pippin and Twinkles scratching since we’ve moved, and I think it’s due to the pesticides, so I’ve been trying to bathe them once a week, and I’ve been giving them a half a Benadryl at bedtime. So far this seems to be working really well. I try to brush Twinkles teeth every time I bathe her – only because she absolutely hates it, or I’d do it more often – and I try to brush Pippin’s teeth at least every other day. His teeth get really dirty, and he doesn’t like to chew on things that would help clean his teeth. Bichon’s are known to have bad teeth and gums, and my vet recommended I brush his teeth every day. Pippin’s a good boy though, and he lets me brush his teeth no problem!

No comments:

Post a Comment